Quillan (France), July 10 (IANS) Veteran Dutch cyclist Bauke Mollema shocked his competitors as his aggressive run over the last 42 kilometers helped him win stage 14 of the Tour de France.
Although this was only his second stage victory in the Tour – the last one came in 2017 – it was quite extensive as he was one minute ahead of the nearest competitor Patrick Konrad from Austria.
“It is amazing to win a stage again,” said Mollema after the race.
“I was fine, so I thought, ‘Let’s go far.’ I had confidence that I could ride alone and continue for a long time, ”he added.
Sergio Higuita from Colombia finished in third place.
The Slovenian Tadej Pogacar kept the yellow jersey, given to the overall leader. He is four minutes ahead of the nearest competitor.
Step 14 results
1. Bauke Mollema (Holland / Trek-Segafredo) 4 hours 16 minutes 16 seconds
2. Patrick Konrad (Austria / Bora-Hansgrohe) + 1 min. 04 sec
Sergio Higuita (Colombia / EF Education-Nippo) Same time
4. Mattia Cattaneo (Italy / Deceuninck-Quick-Step) + 1 min. 10 sec
5. Michael Woods (Canada / Israel Start-Up Nation) Same time
General managers after phase 14
1. Tadej Pogacar (Slovenia / UAE Team Emirates) 56 hours 50 minutes 21 seconds
2. Guillaume Martin (France / Cofidis) + 4 minutes 04 sec
3. Rigoberto Uran (Colombia / EF Education Nippo) + 5 minutes 18 sec
4. Jonas Vingegaard (Denmark / Jumbo Visma) + 5 minutes 32 sec
5. Richard Carapaz (Ecuador / Ineos Grenadiers) + 5 minutes 33 sec
kh / bsk