Tech

Pro-Trump social media app hacked as more than half a million registered

A social media site launched Sunday by Jason Miller, senior adviser to former US President Donald Trump, was briefly hacked and more than 500,000 people have signed up to use the site, Miller said.

GETTR, a Twitter-style platform with posts and popular topics, has advertised itself in Google and the Apple App Stores as “a social network that is not skewed for people around the world.”

“The problem was discovered and sealed in minutes, and all an intruder was able to do was change a few usernames,” Miller said in an email to Reuters.

A writer for Salon posted screenshots on Twitter of several GETTR profiles, including those from former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Miller himself, who were changed to read “JubaBaghdad was here, follow me on twitter :)”.

Asked about security on the new social media, Miller said the situation had been “corrected.”

Miller had been plaguing the Trump team’s plans to launch a new social media platform for several months after moves from Twitter and other sites to block the former president after January 6 riots in which his supporters stormed the Capitol.

Former Trump adviser Steve Bannon on Sunday described GETTR as “the Twitter killer” in a post on the new site.

Trump was permanently banned from Twitter and will remain suspended by Facebook until at least 2023 and by Alphabet’s YouTube until the company finds out that the risk of violence has dropped.

Miller told Fox News earlier this week that he hoped Trump would attend, but that the former president was considering a number of options. He said Trump did not fund the platform.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

Do not miss the latest news and information.
For feedback, complaints or inquiries, contact us.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*